On Truly Free Film today Ted Hope writes about 38 More Ways The Film Industry Is Failing Today.
My response is to propose 10 Solutions that Filmmakers Can engage in to work against these failings:
1. Consider marketing and distribution of your films as part of the entire filmmaking process. If you do this it will be easier and more organic.
2. Hire a distribution and marketing crew – just as you would a production crew. Hire a Producer of Marketing and Distribution or PMD to run this crew. As a producer/line producer run production crew.
3. If you are interested in film, business, marketing, social media – train to become a PMD so that you can be hired by filmmakers. This is a growth field – if you want a new career.
4. Budget for and raise money for distribution and marketing at the initial raise. That way you can promise your investors a release of the film. This way there will be some assured path to monetization and all share the risk in the costs of that monetization.
5. Put the money for marketing and distribution in escrow – you know what I mean.
6. Consider the audience for your film, the specific audinece(s) that exist for your film. Reach out to them as early as possible. They will help you.
7. Think of how and what that audience consumes. Make products that they want related to your film. Eg Shepard Fairey designed posters printed on linen paper signed by the director of the film Bomb It – 🙂
8. Think of interesting Live Events that you can create that appeal to your audience and are relevent to your film. Steinway brought pianos and pianists to the screenings of Ben Nile’s “Note by Note”
9. Think of interesting ways to reach out to audiences that might engage with the content of your film, but don’t want to watch a feature film (yes transmedia). Check out “The Way We Get By” and their Returning Home community site. Check out Bomb It’s Babelgum webisode site.
10. Remember that you are creating a film or media project for an audience. Creation is one part of the whole, connecting with the audience is the other part to that whole.
Posted in Distribution
, Film Festivals
, The PMD
Tagged "The Way We Get By"
, Ben Nile
, Bomb It
, Free Film
, Jon Reiss
, Note by Note"
, Producer of Marketing and Distribution
, Returning Home
, Shepard Fairey
, Ted Hopes
Leave a comment